Saturday, November 19, 2005

All Stars: Batting .500

This week saw the release of All Star Superman. Much like All Star Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder, this is a subtle re-imagining of the character (or characters, in the case of Batman and Robin). I say subtle becuase this is more in line with Marvel's Ultimate line than with Elseworlds. Batman is a little edgier than much of the stuff that you will read with him (which isn't surprising - he is the writer of Sin City, and of some of Batman's edgier tales) and Jim Lee's art is gorgeous. I understand that the name of the title is because it will eventually focus more on Dick Grayson, with Batman being more of a very important supporting character. It is only my affection for the character of Dick Grayson that will have me buying number 3.

I have not, so far, found there to be much to love about this series besides the art. Miller's Vikki Vale is not engaging. And she dresses like a charcter out of Sin City. That is to say, like a tart at best, or a whore at worst. The Frank Miller-drawn cover of the issue that will feature Black Canary makes me believe that her origin can only involve being a stripper, and she wears the same outfit for both "jobs." Needless to say, I am not enthused.

This week, however, All Star Superman #1 came out. I am enthused. I am not typically a fan of the style of Frank Quitely's art, however, I think it suited the book very well. Grant Morrison, who is a man who in my opinion is very hit and miss (I'm currently not picking up any of his Seven Soldiers, although I did try the first issues of the original ones) definitely scored a hit here. It is an interesting interpretation of the Man of Steel, and right from the first issue puts him in a position that we have not seen him in. Not to mention, a cute bit in which he keeps his secret ID safe while saving someone. I really enjoyed this book, and recommend it to anyone who would like to see an interesting new take on the Last Son of Krypton. Assuming in this world he even is the Last Son.

I also went a little more Marvel-heavy this week than I have been of late. Thing #1 came out, as did The Books of Doom #1. Thing #1 had its moments, but overall, didn't do much for me. But then, I never like the idea of Reed Richards treating his friends like guinea pigs, and I got a little of that from his issue. That being said, "Milan Ramada" hiring a Super-Villain to take revenge on an entire party because she wasn't invited is an amusing idea, and it looks like we might see a switch of sides for the constrictor, a villain who I always liked, if only for his costume. I hope there is a spot for him on the Thunderbolts. I'm looking forward to issue #2.

Books of Doom was... interesting. Not much really happens, but it does give a lot of history as to what made Doom the man he is. It was told entirely in flashback, and is during his formative years, so do not look for super-battles to be taking place during this one. I'll be picking up the next issue, but if it doesn't pick up a bit, I will stay with the Marvel Essentials reprints of classic Doom stories.

I also picked up issue #1 of the 6-part X-men: Dark Genesis. It feels to me already like a story that could have been told in 4 issues, but was stretched, as very little happens in this issue, except, as far as I could tell, someone forgot that Cyclops is immune to his own blasts. (As is his brother, Havoc, but that is neither here nor there) Again, a little disappointed, and not sure I'll be seeing this one through to its six-issue conclusion, but I will at least pick up issue #2 before I make that call.

That's it. Good reading.

No comments: