Thursday, June 01, 2006

Last Minute Changes, or, Why I Think Nightwing Was Supposed To Die



I have been saying for a long time that Dick Grayson, the first Robin, and the current Nightwing was going to die in Infinite Crisis. The reasons were several:

  1. His series seemed to stall just before Infinite Crisis, as though they didn't want to introduce any sweeping new story arcs.
  2. Typically, someone of serious significance dies in these crossovers (Flash in Crisis on Infinite Earths, for instance)
  3. Preview images for his comic revealed Nightwing holding a weapon that looked a lot like the ones that Jason Todd, the second Robin, who is now the Red Hood wields.
  4. They seemed to be systematically destroying his relationships with, well, everyone.
  5. There was so much emphasis on him in the early part of the series.
For those of you who don't know, he didn't die. But I still think that was the intention. In the comments on my previous entry, one of my friends notes that Batman seemed out of character with the gun pointing at Alex's head. Well, I think so too, and I think it is because he was supposed to be thinking about avenging the death of his adopted son, Dick Grayson. In the attached picture, Nightwing is not looking well. There is a picture on the same page of Robin's reaction (also pictured above). Robin cried when Superboy died in issue number six, but isn't in the habit of crying every time someone he likes gets knocked out by a villain. Both of these characters are having an emotional over-reaction to Nightwing merely being knocked out.

Also, and this is not intended as a slight on Bruce Jones, current Nightwing writer at all, but the current Jason Todd/Dick Grayson Two Nightwings story feels a little... slapped together. The Nightwing Judd Winick is writing over in Outsiders certainly doesn't feel like Dick Grayson. I think Nightwing was supposed to be Jason todd, Post-Infinite Crisis.

Another bit of evidence: A quiz from Wizard, wherein each question was supposed to have only one correct answer. I have included a portion below:

1)Which one of these heroines will give birth in '06?
A)Wonder Woman - No.
B) Power Girl - No.
C) Catwoman - Yes.
D) Oracle - No.

2)Which one of these heroes will be stripped of their powers?
A)Superman - Yes.
B)Wonder Woman - No.
C)Supergirl - No.
D) Hal Jordan/Green Lantern - No.

3)Who wll become Mayor of a crime-riddled city??
A)Wally West/Flash - No.
B)Dick Grayson/Nightwing - No.
C)Bruce Wayne/Batman - No.
D)Oliver Queen/Green Arrow - Yes.

4)Who will have Amnesia and become unable to tell friend from for??
A)Martian Manhunter - No.
B)Aquaman - Yes.
C)The Atom - No.
D)Elongated Man - No.

5)Who will take on the mantle as the most powerful hero in the DCU??
A)Booster Gold - No.
B)Animal Man - No.
C)Kyle Rayner/Green Lantern - Yes.
D)Earth-2 Superman - No.

6)Which hero will become a criminal in the eyes of the world?? (this one I do not know yet, but I am thinking it might well end up being Shazam, as revealed in the upcoming issues of 52 and of the maxiseries starting in August, the Trials of Shazam)
A)Hal Jordan/Green Lantern -
B)Superman -
C)The Flash -
D)Shazam -

7)Which one of these heroes is the only one who'll be around after 'Infinite Crisis'?
A)Wally West/Flash - No. Disappeared into the Speed Force.
B)Conner Kent/Superboy - No. Killed by Superboy-Prime in the pages of Infinite Crisis.
C)Guy Gardner/Green Lantern - Yes, and one of the leaders of the Green Lantern Corps.
D)Dick Grayson/Nightwing - Yes, and struggling for his identity with another Nightwing.

Wait a minute... do you see what I see? All the other questions DO have only only one "Yes" answer. But that last one... there's two? Now, I suppose it could have been Guy Gardner who was supposed to fall, but given the other evidence, I think that it is much more likely that we have a case of Dick Grayson being spared at the last minute. Now, I am glad of that, albeit unsure of the reasons why. I just wanted to throw it out there. The original Robin, who went on to become Nightwing may have been on the chopping block. If so, I want to thank whoever changed their mind. Dick Grayson is integral to the DC Universe. The one person that everyone both likes and respects, even though he is assoicated with Batman. (although, I do fervently hope that stops being a negative thing, soon. )

Thanks. Thanks for holding on to one of the good ones.

5 comments:

night-of-columbus said...

I really, really hope Dick is on the new JLA, but I highly doubt it.

Just_A_Rat said...

Sadly, I doubt it too. I think they put so much effort in having the "Big Three" make up that they will not be able to avoide having them together in the JLA. With any luck, I'm wrong, and we will see a more interesting league, with several of the members not having their own series. Maybe even some established characters (gotta have J'onn) and some who might even be new. Just not all new characters. I don't want to see a repeat of the Detroit League.

Just_A_Rat said...

One more thing. It turns out it'll be Hal Jordan who is hunted. Still, though, just one correct answer.

Anonymous said...

The last Nightwing issue I picked up - I think it was 119 - may well have been the worst comic I've read in years. The storyline's hokey; the writing's not great; the scenes are badly thought out, seem smashed together and (as with Dick in the jungle scene shoot) look like something from comics 20 years ago... absolutely brutal.
When I mentioned this, you pointed out that it may've been because, if your theory of Dick supposed to have died is true, then last-minute stories would've had to have been produced for him, which could explain its lack of quality. I hope that's all it is, because man, it was harsh.

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping things get back together for Dick with Marv Wolfman writing a story arc as of #125.

I also hope that they deal with the fact that Dick and Barbara got engaged at the end of the issue before OYL took over and why Dick is seemingly broke.