Friday, September 30, 2011

DCnU - Captain Atom #1 from DC's New 52

Captain Atom #1 written by J.T. Krul with art by Freddie Williams II.

As I mentioned in the preview, Captain Atom is one of my favorite characters. I also really like his expy in the form of Dr. Manhattan. Basically, I am predisposed to like this book.

Unfortunately, I was still a little disappointed. The direction that this comic is going is kind of interesting, but something about the execution felt a little lacking.

I didn't really have an emotional connection to Captain Atom at all in this story. I don't care that he is falling apart.

The art wasn't my cup of tea, either. I found there were parts of the story I had to work a little too hard to follow with the art. It wasn't terrible, and wouldn't drive me away from a book I was enjoying, but it also isn't going to keep me on a book that I am ambivalent about.

And that is how I felt about this comic... ambivalent. The mystery of why there is a volcano in New York? The rat-becomes-monster subplot? Will Captain Atom be disintegrating? None of it was heavy motivation to me.

This felt like a setup issue, so I will give it a couple more to see if it picks up, but so far, I am sad to say that Captain Atom is on the bubble.

Oh, and you can find the Mysterious Lady in Red in Manhattan, watching Cap stop the volcano.

No comments: