Saturday, September 24, 2011

DCnU - Green Lantern #1 from DC's New 52

Green Lantern is written by Geoff Johns and penciled by Doug Mahnke, with inks by Christian Alamy with Tom Nguyen.

This comic pretty much grabbed me from page 1. What? Sinestro a Green Lantern again? Okay, there was a little bit of my mind blown right there.

And then we see Hal Jordan trying to adjust to real life, without a ring. And doing so poorly.

Sinestro taking on a member of the corps named after him? And destroying a yellow power ring? Awesome.

Johns does some good work here. People sometimes complain that he is too kind to his favorite characters. Hal Jordan has some pretty good sad sack moments in this one.

Mahnke's art is excellent for this series. The feel of the light constructs is good, and there were some cool aliens shown as part of the Sinestro Corps group that was enslaving Korugar, Sinestro's home planet.

I'm very pleased that DC fooled me. I knew something was up with the "teaser" cover they released, but I don't mind admitting when I am wrong: In talking about the previews, I said, "They are not even committing at this point to this being Hal Jordan. But there will be a Green Lantern book. Geoff Johns will be writing with Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy handling the art. I believe it will be Hal, and I think that will come out shortly. One of the most consistent parts of this launch is that Green Lantern's continuity since Rebirth will be held to." So, they fooled me. It wasn't Hal at all, but Sinestro. Sure, Hal is featured in the comic. And I feel like he will have his ring back within the first six issues (heck, the Mysterious Lady in Red is even watching him and Carol while she is bailing Hal out rather than Sinestro). But they got me with the first one, at least, and it is surprises like that that make reading comics so much fun.

No comments: