Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Let the reviews begin! - Justice League #1

Sorry for my two-week-or-so absence. I did post on Google+ about my feelings about Justice League #1, but this post will officially begin my reviews of the New 52 from DC.

Just so everyone knows, I have decided to go digital when it comes to these books. I have 22 long boxes currently stored at my home, and cannot justify filling up too many more unless the books really resonate with me. I may well go back and buy some of the titles I really loved, but for the most part, my initial reviews will be based on digital reading.

That said, the primary screen on my home system actually allows me to see the comics a tiny bit bigger than the paper copies would be, so I don't feel like I am missing out on quality of the image. Some of the titles I also read with the Comixology/DC Comics apps on my Android phone. But all have been read at least once on my home system.

All of that said, let's begin with the first title.

Justice League #1.

It starts off looking like a Batman book. A well-drawn, action-packed Batman book. Is that Killer Croc he is chasing? I don't think so... but there is some change to continuity so maybe? Wait... weird energy in his eyes and mouth? Probably not Croc. Energy blast? Weird armor, flaming energy flowing off the creature, and starting to beat Bats down? Definitely not Croc. Something bigger and scarier to completely catch Batman off guard and start to slap him around.

Then Green Lantern shows up. And runs over the flaming energy creature with a ring-created fire truck. I love it. A little of the creativity Hal used to show, and less of the "just blast it" we have seen more of recently.

Some good character stuff here - In just a couple of lines, we cover that Batman is an urban legend, and that he uses fear as a tool, while we also see Hal's cockiness and desire to be liked. Then, flaming energy, winged beast strikes again. It distracts the heroes by knocking a few helicopters out of the air, changes form somewhat and takes off.

We get some more interaction between Batman and Lantern, and then we see the creature sticking something to the wall. It makes a "Ping" noise, and looks kind of familiar... could it be a Mother Box? The creature turns on them and shouts "For Darkseid!" So, then, yes. Mother Box. Nice to see the New Gods back in their glory.

Batman and Green Lantern decide to go talk to Superman. Batman mentions that his power levels make him dangerous. Hal responds that it won't be a problem for him and his ring... Foreshadowing?

We then get a subplot of a character who will eventually be Cyborg playing in his high school football game, which his father didn't show up to. We see how this might affect his prospects as a football player. We also get (on page 18, in the crowd shot of the stands) our first look at the mysterious character who shows up in all the #1s this month. She's the one in the hood with the serious expression in the stands.

Finally, our heroes meet up with Superman, and we get to see where Green Lantern's cockiness gets him.


Overall, I really enjoyed this book. It doesn't really feel like a Justice League book yet, as it focuses only on a couple of characters.

The advance copy said that it would focus on Batman, so that was certainly no surprise. Given the characters that Geoff Johns loves, it was also no surprise to see Green Lantern Hal Jordan as the second focus character.

Jim Lee did a nice job with the art. I like the new interpretations of the characters costumes, and he has a very dynamic style that lends itself nicely to action scenes. His work on Batman has always been some of my favorite stuff that he has done, and this did not disappoint.

Batman's dark sense of humor came out well in the comic at several times. Green Lantern was a little one-dimensional (there wasn't a lot to him besides cockiness, but there will be time to develop him further) although he, too displayed something of a sense of humor. They played well off of each other. There was a touch of Kyle in the way that Hal used his Green Lantern ring in this issue.

Superman's brief appearance was a great introduction to the character, and we get a good look at his costume minus the red briefs.

And I have to say... no disrespect to Grant Morrison and his body of work, but I am happy to see Darkseid back as a big bad. I didn't like Final Crisis as much as many did, and it was partly because of the way that Darkseid was portrayed. And they made the creature, which could well be a Parademon, that served Darkseid sufficiently impressive.

So far, the start of the "DCNu" is strong in my opinion. I look forward to the next issue, and am even more excited for the rest of the titles this month.

No comments: