Saturday, June 04, 2011

Cover of Justice League #1



As I type this, DC has revealed that first of the new number 1’s to come out with the “launch of the New DCU” will be Justice League #1. It will be by their creative wonder team of Geoff Johns (Chief Creative Officer) and Jim Lee (Co-Publisher).

I’ve enjoyed work by both gentlemen in the past. However, I’m on the fence regarding the cover.

I like some of the touches Jim Lee has added – Cyborg looks great - updated and sleek. Hal Jordan’s hair looks like there may be some inspiration drawn from Ryan Reynolds. I like the change to the “S” emblem on Superman – it feels powerful and impressive. I also notice that unless there was a coloring error, Supes no longer has the "undies on the outside" look. Lee always draws a wonderful Batman - although this one seems to have traded in the fins on his gloves for something a little more gauntlet-like. I prefer being able to see Flash’s eyes, as he has always seemed like among the most human of heroes, the most “common man” of the bunch (though it remains to be seen if that continues) and being able to see his eyes plays into that. I’m not sure I like the move from gold to silver for Wonder Woman, but I imagine I will learn to live with that. The look of the costume seems to have some commonalities with what they were working on for the abortive attempt at a Wonder Woman television show this year.

My primary real complaint about this cover is how emotionless all of these heroes except Batman seem, and Batman is just doing his usual grim. This is the re-launch of the greatest, most iconic super team in history. Where is the determination? Where is the pleasure of belonging? Anything? Flash - rushing forward at super-speed, lightning arcing around him, looks like he might as well be reading an economics text book as opposed to… whatever it is they are doing here. The same goes for most of the rest. This is the introduction to the new DC Universe? Pretty, but lacking depth or substance? I may be reading too much in to this, (I do that) but this cover should be the thing that draws me in, and gives me my first peek into the personalities of these characters who I may or may not still know. It should not be the thing making me question if this new launch is heading in a good direction.

3 comments:

Reay said...

One thing I'd be interested in is knowing if and how the characters are going to explain their sudden synchronicity on the costume changes. It's one thing for one character to change his/her look over time, but for all of them to do it at once... I understand how it's pretty for a re-launch concept, but can't help shake the impression that if the characters try to explain the choice in their series, it'll seem contrived, while if they don't mention it at all, it'll seem ignorant.

Looking forward to your future posts. And to trying to keep up with them. :)

Reay said...

PS - Where'd you pull the cover? Just thinking if it was an official website, you might be able to offer feedback on the characters' expressions, which you have some solid points on. They've got a couple of months to make corrections, and those are definitely relevant changes that should be considered.

Just_A_Rat said...

News is pouring out right now. My "one update a day" approach is leaving me a couple of days out of date, so I am trying to keep up with them too...