Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Justice League Revealed

So, glass maker 'Toom Tumblers released an image used on an upcoming glass to their Facebook page. The image was of the Justice League.


Over on DC Women Kicking Ass, they identify most of the characters, with one exception. The mystery woman on the right, second from the bottom. They do speculate on who it could be.

I posted before that I didn't think it made sense to have Firestorm and Captain Atom on the same team, and I am glad they didn't do that. I can't tell which Atom that is from the picture (2nd down on the left). And Deadman? He's already on the cover of Justice League Dark as well. And seems a better fit there.

So, it looks like the 15-member JLA is going to be Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern (Hal), Cyborg and Aquaman as the "Big 7." Joining them will be Deadman, Atom, Element Woman (from Flashpoint... kind of a female Metamorpho), Firestorm, Green Arrow, Hawkman, Someone, and Mera. Interesting that Geoff Johns is writing Aquaman, and two characters from that mythos make it into the League.

This is also a good look at Jim Lee's version of some of these costumes. I like his take on Superman's boots better than George Perez'. And I see he hasn't completely done away with the "underwear on the outside" look... now they just are all the same color as the pants. And Lee really does have a thing for the downward angled belt, doesn't he. Even characters not actually having real belts like Flash and Green Lantern have the "pointing to my groin" look.

I also have to say that I think he over-did the beak on Hawkman a little.

And my own 2 cents on the mystery woman? Power Girl. From an interview on ComicVine:

CV: Will we be seeing Power Girl in the future?
Bob: Yeah, she'll be around.
CV: But not in her own title?
Bob: No, she won't have her own #1 title, but Karen Starr will appear in one of the 52 titles.

I think it is odd that he uses her real name and not her code name when he refers to her directly - it may be that the character is changed somehow. If that is her, they have definitely changed her outfit. But that would make sense - no more JSA, no more "Cousin of the original Superman who doesn't exist anymore." Really, what I like about the character is her personality and attitude, with her power level as an added bonus. If she retains those things, even if the powers and origin are modified, I can live with it.

No comments: