Saturday, June 18, 2011

Green Lantern Review


My take on the Green Lantern movie, and the things it made me think of.

I’ll start off by saying a few things: Firstly, despite my passion for comics, I am not someone who expects slavish devotion on the part of movies to the source material. As long as I feel they have the spirit of a character right, I am generally okay with re-interpretations needed for the big screen, particularly if they are adapting an ongoing character with years of continuity. Secondly, I am a fan of Ryan Reynolds, going all the way back to Two Guys and a Girl (I didn't watch it at all when there was a pizza place involved). I find him charismatic and entertaining. Thirdly, it had been a pretty long week at work, and I was ready to sit back and be entertained.

I will say that the movie accomplished the last for me. As I write this, the movie has a 23% rating from critics on RottenTomatoes.com, and a 72% "liked it" rating from viewers.

Additionally, Leonard Malkin finished his review by saying, "But despite those caveats..." (The caveats here being that the movie tries to do too much, with too many characters and too many subplots) "...the film offers a dazzling array of visual effects, a likable hero, a beautiful leading lady, a colorful villain, and a good backstory. It also doesn’t take itself too seriously. Green Lantern entertained me, and I can’t dismiss that because of its imperfections."

Roger Ebert, the critic I respect most gave the movie 2.5 stars, and says, "The bottom line: This is a comic-book movie. Fans of the Green Lantern (in his intergalactic story mode and not his earthbound TV series) will no doubt enjoy its visualizations and its references to details of the back story that escaped me. There's a whole lot going on. We don't really expect subtle acting or nuanced dialogue. We appreciate an effective villain. We demand one chaste kiss between hero and heroine, but no funny stuff. We enjoy spectacular visuals like the Green elders, who are immortal and apparently spend eternity balancing on top of towering pillars. 'Green Lantern' delivers all of those things, and for what it's worth, I liked it more than 'Thor.'" I'm not sure I liked it more than Thor, myself, but certainly think the two were much closer than the praise heaped on Thor vs. the disdain for Green Lantern would indicate.

Malkin's criticism is on the money, in my opinion. At 1:45 in length, this movie tried to cover too much back story, introduce too many characters, and too much sub-plot. A couple of visits to Oa with the Guardians and some of the Green Lanterns there being introduced. Hector Hammond back on earth, and the big bad, an interesting take on Parallax. Not to mention the introduction of Dr. Amanda Waller. She has a small role in the film, but Angela Basset has such great screen presence that she still feels important. I can't help but wonder if this is the DC equivalent of having Nick Fury show up after the credits in Iron Man. All of this on top of Hector Hammond, a relationship sub plot between Hal and Carol Ferris... it really does feel like a little too much.

I'll be honest. I think the story would have been simpler if they had just told the comic book fall of Sinestro as the main plot. Hal gets the ring, gets trained by the other Lanterns, including Sinestro, and after overcoming some kind of threat, goes to see Sinestro. He finds Sinestro is using his ring to rule his people, and we get a battle between the two. Cleaner, I think, and fewer characters needed.

Even so, I found the effects in this movie to be awesome, the acting to vary from solid to excellent, and the story to be good. It might be a little confusing for those who do not know the Green Lantern mythos, although my wife liked it, and doesn't know that much about it other than the whole "space cops" idea.

All in all, for fans of the genre, this will be a fun movie. And even though there is a set-up for something of a sequel in the credits, I don't know that DC has managed to really hit it out of the park here. I'm not sure why it is that Marvel has had so much more success on the big screen than DC (outside of Batman, of course) but I don't think that Green Lantern is going to change this.


Green Lantern opened on over 6,000 screens, whereas Thor opened on 3,955, and X-Men First Class opened on 6,900. Thor had an easier time holding on to those screens when it opened a month and a half ago, and it opened on a lot of IMAX and 3D screens, which proved to be a very successful strategy for the movie. Predictions are that Green Lantern will open to about $60 Million, which will put it ahead of X-men: First Class, but below Thor. So far, it looks like Thor is going to be the #1 hero this summer, unless Captain America can show him how it is done.

5 comments:

Shlomo Ben Hungstien said...

X-Men first class wasn't quite as good as i was expecting but it still wasn't bad. Magneto couldn't have been more bad ass however. Thor i was pretty over all happy with no major complaints. as for GL you can find a review on one the most recent postings at my Suicide Squad blog which i've plugged twice now in your comments sections already.

Just_A_Rat said...

Thanks for stopping by David. I had two complaints about Thor. Firstly, and this is a small complaint, I wish that they had let Hawkeye take a shot of some sort, rather than just have him sit up there, ready to do so, and then stand down. Secondly, I felt they didn't give Natalie Portman much to work with. Her character came off as one dimensional to me, and I don't think it was the acting. But overall, it was a fun movie.

Shlomo Ben Hungstien said...

yeah well at least that let him get off some good lines while he was up was sitting up there. "you gonna let me take the shot or just send more guys after him so they can get beat up" and "i'm starting to root for this guy" were great.

Just_A_Rat said...

Absolutely. I loved the "starting to root for this guy" comment. But still would have liked a little chance for him to do something. Even if Thor had reached for some kind of weapon, and Hawkeye shot it out of his reach, or something.

Shlomo Ben Hungstien said...

wait for it my friend. an Avengers film will come in your life time.