Saturday, June 04, 2011

New DCU Titles So Far - Part 1

Here are the titles that will be in place at the upcoming re-launch that DC has announced on their own site so far:

Justice League: I touched on the cover to this one last post. This article says the League will end up having 14 members when all is said and done. So far, we know about Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, Cyborg and Aquaman. Given some of the titles listed below, it wouldn’t surprise me to see this rounded out with Firestorm, Green Arrow, Hawkman and Mister Terrific. That’s 11. That leaves 3 more to go. I’d expect we may see another female character or two… maybe Zatanna? I also would not be surprised at all to see the Blue Beetle in the form of Jaime Reyes show up. I guess we could also see Captain Atom, but if Firestorms powers are at all consistent with his past versions, it seems like having he and Captain Atom in the same book would be almost redundant. Although one could end up on the International team.

Wonder Woman: Brian Azzarello and Cliff Chiang will be doing Wonder Woman. Wonder Woman has seldom been handled well, but Brian Azzarello is an excellent writer, and Chiang an excellent artist. My personal WW preference was back in the George Perez days, with the Greek mythology being a significant and firmly present part of her backstory. That said, as per my earlier post, I wouldn't be surprised to find that element toned down to match what others "know" about her. Some of that is also considered a little confusing, and perhaps removed from what many non-comic readers think of as her "iconic" version. Not to mention, had her television show gotten picked up this year, she would have been a much more "modern woman" interpretation. I expect some of that to stick.

Aquaman: I have a confession to make. I have loved this character ever since I had Aquaman Underoos when I was a kid. I loved him especially, many years later, under the able pen of Peter David, when he seemed to be able to defeat opponents just by being cooler than them. Think about that - Aquaman, cooler than just about anyone. The blush wore off a bit when Erik Larsen took over. I love Savage Dragon, but he just didn't do as good of a job on Aquaman for my money. Geoff Johns, who has done a tremendous job on runs of Flash and Green Lantern is taking on Aquaman, with Ivan Reis doing art duties. Johns really loves these characters, and Reis' work is gorgeous. I'm really jazzed to see how this book turns out.

The Flash: Francis Manapul, artist on the Flash right now, will be writing his first comic series, as well as handling the art. No indication here if this will be Barry Allen or Wally West. I grew up with Barry, but Wally has been wearing the scarlet PJs for longer now. However, Barry was the character in the one-season TV show. I've always liked the Flash, but found him hard to read. His powers are so overwhelming that it stretches my suspension of disbelief to understand how anyone who isn't as fast can be a challenge. It'll be interesting to see how Manapul handles the Fastest Man Alive. It looks like his first foe will be an new villain rather than one of his established Rogues. Also, I kinda dig the chin guard on his costume.

Fury of Firestorm: I've always liked Firestorm. I thought the idea of a composite consciousness driving this hero was cool. I've always liked his powers, and am excited to read anything that Gail Simone is working on. Ethan Van Sciver, generally thought of as an artist is a true comics fan, as passionate as anyone about these characters, and he will be writing with Gail. (I played City of Heroes with her a few times - I'll permit myself to use her first name) They'll be working with Yildiray Cinar who will be handling the art, although Van Sciver did the cover for the first issue, which looks amazing. The cover leads me to think that what could be happening here is a little meta-. Firestorm has typically been made up of two personalities - this looks like they are combining two of the Firestorms (Ronnie Raymond/Professor Stein and Jason Rusch/several people) into the new Firestorm. Love the idea.

The Savage Hawkman: Tony Daniel who writes Batman and Phillip Tan who did art on Agent Orange, among others will be working together on The Savage Hawkman. I have always liked Hawkman a lot. And it looks like this will be Hawkman as his most raw - an archaeologist who isn't afraid to pick up an archaic weapon and hit people with it. A lot. I'm very much looking forward to see how they handle Carter Hall's particularly convoluted background, what with having lived so many lives over thousands of years, and having alien lives weaved in these days. I expect this character to read a lot like the rumored film treatment for the character: part Indiana Jones, part Da Vinci Code, and part Ghost. As the folks at mtv geek news put it, "like Indiana Jones, but a huge, muscly a-hole." By the way, although I love this character and would love to see such a film, this clip of comic characters who have had movies made gathering, and Hawkman being on the outside looking in, is very funny.

Green Arrow: I confess. The Emerald Archer has never been one of my favorites. JT Krul will be trying to change that with art by the very talented and skilled Dan Jurgens. It won't be a hard win for me - I have always wanted to like the character, but I just haven't read that many interpretations that got me there. His post-Infinite Crisis series almost got me there, but then they had him take out Deathstroke. I hate seeing a character watered down to make another one look tough. I hated when the JLA were watered down for Deathstroke in Identity Crisis, and I hated it the other way around there. Also, I can't help but notice that the costume Ollie is wearing on the cover looks to be a little inspired by his Smallville appearance. Also, like Oliver on Smallville, he will be an orphaned billionaire. Again, I think this is a good move. No need to confuse potential readers by removing elements they "know" about a character as long as you are launching the New DCU.

Next Time in Part 2, Justice League International, Mr. Terrific, Captain Atom, DC Universe Presents, and the 4 Lantern-based titles that have been announced.

1 comment:

Reay said...

Interesting that The Flash comes up in this posting, cuz I was just thinking of him today. I need someone - you, perhaps - to explain to me what happened with the Speed Force. Couldn't say in what storyline, but a few years back, the Speed Force disappeared. Like, not that it just wasn't accessible any more, but it no longer existed. And I'm not sure where that went, but clearly it wasn't for that long, because shortly thereafter, a new Flash series launched, and it was clear from the cover alone that the Speed Force was alive and well (so to speak). I don't know that I've heard of many writer/artist solo ventures in recent years. Be interesting to see (or as stated previously, hear) how it goes.

I'm definitely a Brian Azzarello fan, hooked by what I've read of the "100 Bullets" series, which is excellent. Too bad he's doing Wonder Woman, who I've never been on board with. Azzarello writing Green Arrow? I'd be chomping at the bit to check that out. Writing Firestorm (who was, ages ago, a short-lived favourite of mine)? Be down with that, too.