Saturday, June 25, 2011

Wonder Woman Digital Comics Deal Today and Tomorrow

For two days only, those interested in seeing how DC handles its digital comics on the cheap can check out some Wonder Woman stories for just $.99 each today and tomorrow.

Details on which comics are available are in the DC blog post here. Strangely, clicking on the image promoting the sale just takes you to... that image. But there is a link in the blog post that takes you to the page where you can buy the books or you can just click here.

If you are not familiar with the work George Perez did with the character, I highly recommend looking in to Wonder Woman volume 2. That has been my favorite take on the character to date. Deeply steeped in Greek mythology, a butt kicking warrior princess, and a truly good and caring person, all in equal measure. This interpretation of the character is the one that I automatically go to when I think Wonder Woman.

Also note, there are a few comics in the list that are free! All Star Comics #8, her very first appearance, as well as Sensation Comics #1, where her origin story continued from All Star Comics #8. Also, DC has put together a Wonder Woman 101 book that brings people up to date on the character, and that is also free.

But I'll be checking out some of the books here that I have not read myself, just to get a feel for DC's digital comics delivery system. A preview of what to look forward to with their day-and-date delivery in September.

5 comments:

Shlomo Ben Hungstien said...

the mistake the producers made with that botched WW TV show recently was that they really didn't get what makes Wonder Woman today. it was good in for it's time but the Linda Carter WW days are over.

Just_A_Rat said...

I think you are right, David. I think there have been issues lately where people are trying to "humanize" DC characters, making them more like Marvel. I think that DC's biggest and best are iconic, and attempts to bring them down to a more human level miss exactly what has made them so enduring. I read Marvel for the more human, modern view of things. I read DC for the characters who are icons, and who may well not have the same problems I do, but are inspiring in a way that few other characters can be.

Shlomo Ben Hungstien said...

thanks for your comments on the SS blog JAR. listen, don't you think it's time you get yourself a distinctive profile icon to go with your screen name?
you know how to add one or add yourself to another blog as a follower?

Just_A_Rat said...

It probably is about time I got myself something distinctive for a profile icon. And so it is done...

As for following, I am following your blog, but it comes up with my real name - Alex.

Shlomo Ben Hungstien said...

oh i see, your Alex. well welcome aboard Alex. chatty people on these blogs are fun. i don't like people who don't enjoy an exchange of ideas and opinions. you seem like an alright guy as you can see at my SS blog i've got a great little community of friends in the comments section. i try to hit topics and keep things interesting so that you don't have to be strictly an SS fan to enjoy what i have over there. sometimes just being into hot chicks will give you sufficient cause to visit my blog from time to time.